COR VALUE SUMMARY
COR congregations actively engage the community in practical and relevant ways. Taking care of “the least of these” is in fact helping Jesus in his most distressing disguise. Service opportunities exist at three levels – giving fish, teaching people how to fish, and advocating for all to have equal access to the pond.
Our people must learn to use their lives for doing good and helping anyone who has a need. Then they will not have empty lives. Titus 3:14 ERV
Click here to read more Bible texts about service.
ELLEN G. WHITE QUOTES
“Seize upon every opportunity for contributing to the happiness of those around you. Remember that true joy can be found only in unselfish service.” Ministry of Healing, p. 362.
“The world will be convinced, not by what the pulpit teaches, but by what the church lives. The minister in the desk (pulpit) announces the theory of the gospel; the practical piety of the church demonstrates its power. “ Testimonies for the Church 7:16
“The world needs today what it needed nineteen hundred years ago – a revelation of Christ. A great work of reform is demanded, and it is only through the grace of Christ that the work of restoration, physical, mental, and spiritual, can be accomplished. Christ’s method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Savior mingled with men as One who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, “Follow Me.” There is need of coming close to the people by personal effort. If less time were given to sermonizing, and more time were spent in personal ministry, greater results would be seen. The poor are to be relieved, the sick cared for, the sorrowing and the bereaved comforted, the ignorant instructed, the inexperienced counseled. We are to weep with those that weep, and rejoice with those that rejoice. Accompanied by the power of persuasion, the power of prayer, the power of the love of God, this work will not, cannot, be without fruit.” Ministry of Healing p. 143
Click here to read more of what Ellen White said about service.
“So in every church, regardless of size and resources, there are two very practical ways to build a bridge of irresistible influence, two ways to effectively connect the church to the community, two ways to be salt and light. One way is by equipping your congregation to directly influence your community through the lifestyles they pursue and the good works they effectively initiate…”
~ Robert Lewis and Rob Wilkins in The Church of Irresistible Influence, p. 186.
Click here to read more non-denominational quotes about service.
SURVEY (evaluate where you are so you know where you want to go)
- Do you think your church is committed to demonstrating God’s love through acts of service?
- What are the top five ways your church demonstrates God’s love through acts of service to your community?
- What was the last time a senior youth and/or young adult community service/evangelism idea was used by your church?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, how involved are senior youth and young adults in planning, running, and following up on your church’s service/evangelism activities?
- We Will No Longer Be a Welcoming Church
- Building Community from the Inside Out
- 6 Ideas from the Columbia Union Conference (SDA)
- Take What You Need
- 101 Outreach Ideas for Small Churches
- Kindness Outreach
- Low Budget Outreach Ideas
- 10 Neighborhood Christmas Outreach Ideas
- 7 Simple Outreach Ideas and a Giveaway
- 94 Servant Evangelism Ideas for Your Church (PDF)
- Outreach Ideas
- Empathy & Evangelism
- COR Position Paper, p. 16-18 (SDA)