Key COR Value:
COR Congregations are committed to building a caring and friendly community.
COR Value Summary:
COR congregations incubate healthy, active relationships. A friendly atmosphere is created where people can connect. Steps are taken to ensure that visitors and new members are included in formal and informal social activities.
Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ. Then, whether I come and see you again or only hear about you, I will know that you are standing together with one spirit and one purpose, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News
~ Philippians 1:27 NLT
Click here to read more Bible texts about community.
Ellen G. White Quote
“Christian sociability is altogether too little cultivated by God’s people. . . . By social intercourse acquaintances are formed and friendships contracted which result in a unity of heart and an atmosphere of love which is pleasing in the sight of heaven… The warmth of true friendship... is a foretaste of the joys of heaven."
~ My Life Today, p. 204.
Click here to read more of what Ellen White said about community.
"The future of the church depends on whether it develops true community. We can get by for a while on size, skilled communication and programs to meet every need, but unless we sense that we belong to each other, with masks off, the vibrant church of today will become the powerless church of tomorrow. Stale, irrelevant, a place of pretense where sufferers suffer, alone where pressure generates conformity rather than the Spirit creating life – that’s where the church is headed unless it focuses on community."
~ Larry Crabb as quoted by Randee Frazee in The Connecting Church: Beyond Small Groups to Authentic Community, p. 13.
Click here to read more non-denominational quotes about community.
- Meals are shared in homes and at church.
- Contact information for members and visitors is kept current.
- Social events are planned outside of church time. They may include, but are not limited to, book clubs, music groups, trips, outdoor activities, sports.
- Newsletters keep all informed.
- Non-active members are invited to belong even before they believe.
- Cards are sent as appropriate.
- Missing members are contacted with care and tact.
- When activities are planned, extra energy is spent to ensure members at the margins are included.