Key COR Value:
COR Congregations are committed to discipleship through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
COR Value Summary:
COR congregations foster a deep experience with our Creator by helping young members grow in their relationship with Jesus and by training them to live for others as Jesus did. Leaders model authentic spirituality and members are led to grow in the Spirit as they follow Jesus. Members spend quiet time alone with God. In-home groups foster faith and community. Ministry opportunities match members’ spiritual gifts, passions, abilities and maturity.
Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age. ~ Matthew 28:19-20 (NLT)
Click here to read more Bible texts about discipleship.
Ellen G. White Quote
A true disciple of Christ will seek to imitate the Pattern. His love will lead to perfect obedience. He will study to do the will of God on earth, as it is done in Heaven.
~ The Faith I Live By, p. 19.
Click here to read more of what Ellen White said about discipleship.
Discipleship requires real teaching and real learning. It requires conversation, modeling, encouragement, debriefing, and practice, all of which need to happen in the context of relationship. Without relationship between believers , there is no model to follow, no authenticity, no accountability, no application, and no support for the journey. These things come through personal contact. And because that relational context for learning is lacking, life change is rarer than it should be among Christians today.
~ Jim Putman in Real-Life Discipleship: Building Churches that Make Disciples, p. 22-23.
Click here to read more non-denominational quotes about discipleship.
- Leaders routinely pray with members.
- Members are encouraged to spend time alone with God for prayer, meditation, Bible and inspirational reading, journaling and listening.
- Prayer summits and retreats are scheduled.
- Members participate in ministry with their spiritual gifts, rather than merely observe it. Opportunities are made available for both inreach and outreach.
- Home groups for Bible study and community building are encouraged and supported. Bible truths are applied to current life situations in ways that foster open and honest personal sharing.
- Members are trained to personally engage in spiritual disciplines and discover their spiritual gifts.
- Members are shown how to live for and like Jesus in all areas of their lives.