KEY COR VALUE
COR congregations are committed to providing a meaningful Sabbath experience for senior youth and young adults.
COR VALUE SUMMARY
COR congregations do so by offering time and space for collective study, worship, and socializing. Young leaders actively shape the activities and meetings for this age group.
And I gave them the Sabbath—a day of rest every seventh day—as a symbol between them and me, to remind them that it is I, the Lord, who sanctifies them—that they are truly my people.
Ezekiel 20:12 TLB
Click here for more Bible texts on the Sabbath.
ELLEN G. WHITE QUOTES
“The Sabbath meetings…, unless wisely planned and vitalized by the Spirit of God, may become the most formal, unpleasant, unattractive — and to the youth the most burdensome, of all the school exercises. The religious exercises should be so planned and managed that they will be not only profitable, but so pleasant as to be positively attractive.” Testimony Treasures Vol. 2, p. 440.
Click here to see more of what Ellen White said on the Sabbath.
As leaders working with young people from many faiths, we are witnessing the beginnings of a religious renaissance through an embrace of the Sabbath. And for a stressed-out, anxious generation seeking strength and solace, it’s just in time. “Why Young People are Setting Time Aside for Faith,” Washington Post, Oct. 2012.
Click here to see more non-denominational quotes on the Sabbath
SURVEY (evaluate where you are so you know where you want to go)
- Is your church committed to providing a meaningful Sabbath experience for their senior youth and young adults?
- What are the top three things that makes the Sabbath meaningful for you?
- When you were a senior youth, what made the Sabbath meaningful for you?
- When you were a young adult, what made the Sabbath meaningful for you?
- How does your church know what would make Sabbath meaningful to your senior youth and young adults?
- Devon Franklin - Sabbath in Hollywood (SDA)
- Consumers of Worship vs. Those Who are Consumed for God's Fame
- Where is Your Worship?
- Sabbath Sofa - Outreach Idea (SDA)
- Journey to Bethlehem - live nativity scene (SDA)
- Under Development
- Under Development
- Keeping the Sabbath Saved My Marriage, My Ministry, and Probably My Life
- 101 Ideas for Better Worship Services (SDA)
- Ways to Involve Children (SDA)
- Passion Play (SDA)
- Designing Worship Spaces with Millennials in Mind
- 7 Things Church Members Should Say to Guests
- 10 Comments from Happy Church Guests
- 9 Surprises in Worship Services that Made Guests Return
- 9 Ways to Use Twitter in Church Services
- 8 Effective Uses of Twitter for Churches
- Five Tips for Meaningful Sabbaths
- Worship Set Ideas
- Why Young People are Setting Time Aside for Faith
- COR Position Paper, p. 7-8 (SDA)
- 15 Church Survey Questions to Better Meet Your Congregation's Needs
- Fusion: Turning First-time Guests into Full-engaged Members of Your Church
- Sabbath as Resistance: Saying NO to the Culture of Now